Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Rank: Mentor

New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1841

• Duomaxwel
  • Veteran
  • Thank you received: 5
A new rank will be introduced shortly. The name of the rank is "Mentor". This thread is to allow people to see the responsibilities and perks of being a Mentor as well as nominate your fellow Novopangaeans. You should state the name of the person you want to nominate and why you nominate them as specifically as possible. I only want positive things about canidates, not negative. Final choices will be made by Admins in a closed meeting soon. All of the responsibilities and perks may be subject to change. This post will be updated as further details emerge.

Qualities of a Mentor:
Friendly
Helpful
Patient
Respects all players
Knowlegable of current Rules
Knowlegable of Commands/Plugins

Responsibilities:
Greeting new players to the server.
Helping new players understanding rules.
Working 1 on 1 with new players while they get the hang of BossSmp.

Perks

/hat Lets you wear a block as a hat.
Colored name in chat. A colored name different from admin/mod/donator.
When promotions are discussed, current staff is always looked upon first.

Remember when nominating somone that it is also a reflection of you. These are people that you want to help out the next generation of BossSmp players.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Kardon_Trigger. Reason: Update
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PoeyJoey

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1842

• cooster2
  • Mod
  • Thank you received: 63
Personally speaking, there are less than a hand full of people that would fit this rank. Its not really a bad thing but it would be good to have more people that fit these qualities.

Ricc- Ricc has been here for as long as i have, he knows the plugins like the back of his hand and he has great relations with the already existing players. He knows the rules and helps me form time to time in my decision making with mod work. He does sometimes go over the top but in all honesty ricc would make a great mentor.

Joseph- He is a newer member of the community but he is very active and all he wants to do is help people. I have never talked to him outside of the game like on mumble or such, but from what i could see is is a cool guy. He knows the rules and a good amount about the plugins. Again, since he is a new player i dont know a lot about him, but i think it would be a good responsibility for him to have.

I wish there were more people that i could reccomend for this rank, hopefully some more people will come up from the wood work and show that they want this rank.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 321squrt, riccardo164, josephdm

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1843

• motorthud
  • Mod
  • Thank you received: 42
Along with cooster, I have several suggestions to who the rank of Mentor should be bestowed upon.

Dark- Dark is always contributing to the server, and regarding everyone, even giving a hello to brighten the smile of everyone. Even if a visitor takes a while to understand the rules, dark is always there to explain it, and not afraid to repeat anything. Dark'll always think of server projects, from helping spleef games go by smoothly to building the Caledonia Hotel, and allowing anyone to help. He also has never broken a rule in his life, and is up-to-date with resing.

Furry- Furrybunny101, what can we say about her? She's always a ray of hyperactive sunshine, helping everyone she stops by. She'll help you in ways from resing a plot to building a giant aquarium. She'll patiently await anyone who is building something in a server project she helped with and is never a rule-breaker. So, I say, why not choose her?

Finally, and don't get me wrong, I would possibly consider myself as a Mentor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing this for personal gain, I just feel like helping the newer citizens of BossSMP. When visitors log on, I'm not afraid to say welcome and, if Auto-announce is down, point them in the direction of where they need to go. When I pass someone in a mine or just on the calm streets of Caledonia, I always say hello. I even contributed a lot of my heart and soul into New Caledonia's museum, park, balloons, hotel, and numerous other activities all can enjoy, all for free. If someone is trying to decide between which kind of wool they want for me to help make their house make out of, I don't shout, I just patiently await their favorite choice. Lastly, I have never even come close to breaking rules, only reporting many cases of broken ones. Also, I am always re-checking my res and readying my plot in case of intruders.

Thank you busy admins and care-taking staff, and I hope you will consider my choices deeply in the next meeting.
"Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence."
-Edgar Allen Poe

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1844

• riccardo164
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 20
I'd like to also help out with suggestions on who would be suitable to being a Mentor. Firstly, I'll present a list of players I think would best serve as Mentor. Then, I'll give a description in terms of the positive aspects those players have and their qualifications. Finally, I will present my opinion towards the nominations made by other players as to help with the selection process.

A. Player Nominations (in alphabetical order)

Josephdm - Like Cooster said, although Joe is a newer member of our community, he has shown great enthusiasm in server matters such as advertising and pitching new ideas. Further, Joe's work ethic is shown in him helping new players, instructing them on how to register, and tips on how to play on our server. He is well versed in our server rules, and he seems like a very promising player.

Motorthud - Moto is a very friendly player who consistently greets new players and helps them start off. He is also quite active in server events and city-building, as shown by his involvement in Caledonia, like previously stated by himself. Though it would be great to see him on just a bit more, he maintains strong connections to our players formed throughout his time with us.

Riccardo164 - I'd also like to nominate myself for the role of Mentor. Given my long-standing relationship with BossSMP and its players since mid-summer of 2011, I've developed friendships with many of our players. I am also proud to say that I am probably one of, if not the most active player among Citizens, Donators, and even some Mods, and as such, I keep a good check on server affairs and player activities. In addition, I carry an extensive knowledge of the server rules, server history, and player commands/plugins, providing guidance to players and sometimes helping out staff on deciding matters. I also have a frequent presence in the Forums and Tickets sections, further cementing my connection to server issues. One can see just by asking some players that many of our regular players started off with my tips and outstretched arm, and have developed into well-standing members of our BossSMP society.

B. Opinions on Other Nominations (as to help the deciding process run fairly and quickly)
While it is very important to acknowledge the qualifications of our nominees, it is equally necessary to take into account some issues regarding other nominees.

On darkkiller - Though I respect Darkkiller as a player and will recognize some of Dark's achievements such as presenting the idea of a Caledonia hotel, there are many faults with his nomination. First of all, Dark does not maintain a steady, ongoing attendance in the server and in the Forums. It can be noted that Dark sometimes abruptly leaves the server for an unknown amount of time without giving prior notice. Also, Dark has minimal Forum activity, not visiting or maintaining the Forums unless advertising a personal project. I would also like to note Dark's poor mannered language, as evidenced by his unfriendly and off-putting commands delivered during the ongoing construction of the Caledonia hotel project. Further, I will challenge motorthud's conjecture that Dark helps out new players. Not once during my tens of hours a week, have I seen Dark giving any new player direction or tips on playing or registering.

On furrybunny101 - Maintaining poor server attendance and an average knowledge of server workings, furrybunny selection to Mentor would further the notion of a server valuing "cute" over hard work. Howsoever one views her positivism, one can see the minimal effect it would help a job on Mentorship without a strong knowledge of rules and policy. In addition, her pull to working on personal projects such as Wool-art in Creative and the past Hunger Games map greatly mars her duty as a Mentor to help new players over working on her own constructions. Lastly, one can measure her inactivity by simply doing a /seen or even seeing how long after her promotion would she log on. Inactivity is one of the greatest difficulties in maintaining a high-attendance job such as Mentor.

With that said, I hope I did not sound demeaning to the aforementioned two players darkkiller and furrybunny101, but simply note their inability to support such a large role in the server. I would also strongly urge the hardworking staff to consider my nominations as well as my opinions on why some nominees are unfit to carry the role of Mentor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: motorthud

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1845

• ecao
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 15
Right, I agree with everything said so far, I think Josephdm is a great guy for a Mentor rank, he is fairly new but he is nice and can help new players very well. I think Ricc would be a good choice for Mentor as well, he has been around for a long time, and he knows all the rules.
Moto would be a good mentor as well.
Apologies if this sounds boring/repetitive, but my brain is fairly addled from all this schoolwork I've had lately.
That's all I have to say, homework to do after this...
I've kinda left. Might be around some other time :/
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by ecao. Reason: Clarity, and some other whatnot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: motorthud, riccardo164

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1846

• MothrShip
  • Mentor
  • Thank you received: 47
I am very game for this new rank and i believe that all nomination are (mostly) valid. I however would not nominate Josephdm yet or dark, I think they are great friends, but i don't believe hey are quite ready. Ric, i think, would be valid. I also nominate myself because I have been on for about 6+ months now, and i believe that i am trustworthy i would have enough maturity and responsibility. I am also on basically every day for 1-5 hours, ad i would love to join the higher ranks of the best server around! I know the rules and all, though sometimes I do have to go to spawn to refresh my memory :P. Please consider this,

~scorpiovirus

P.s. anyone i didn't mention i think would be great!
See you Online guys! :kiss:
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by MothrShip.
The following user(s) said Thank You: riccardo164

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1847

• cooster2
  • Mod
Yeh ricc makes very valid points here. I was trying to draft something to that affect up but i could not put it into the right words. Very valid points

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1849

• Silverstealth3
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 6
Im gonna become more active soon, but it might take time... I would like to qualify for the rank. But my attendance is low atm, so i don't plan to qualify anytime soon. Plus if had a few (2) temp bans, which i plan to make up for. But i would like to be considered :)

As for, Ric... Excellent candidate for mentor!! :cheer:
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Silverstealth3.

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1850

• Shirokurousa
  • Mod
  • Thank you received: 84
There are some people that would be a good Mentor and would help players with basic stuff and starting out.. here are those people that I think would do a good job:
1. PepermintLeaf
Pep is a good nominee since he is on at least two times a week, usually more and he is a nice guy. He helps people and he's a weirdo! He greets most players that come on regularly, and has a good personality. I don't know how to put the rest of my thoughts into words but here are some...

2. riccardo164
Ricc is a good neighbor and he is always helping people. Some examples are building styles, helping register, and helping in general.. Even though we have a strange relationship, I still think he deserves Mentor rank. Ricc has shown commitment to the server and some of his builds were very awesome. He's been around for a long time and he is active in the forums and such.

I don't know how to put the rest of my thoughts into words but here are some... thanks for reading my post! >_< /Shiroku

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1852

• furrybunny101
  • Donator
  • Thank you received: 8
I vote Motor and Ecao to be Mentors!
Motor: He always seems to be in a good mood and is very friendly, both of which are important qualities.
Ecao: Also friendly and always in a good mood.

@Motor: Thank you, you are so nice! But I'd rather not,as my computer lags far too much on this server. Quite annoying.

Oh, and @ riccardo: "Poor server attendance"? I prefer something like "Comes on occasion". Poor server attendance sounds too much like work or school. Boss isn't work or school, is it? If it is then... I forgot to do my homework.
~I'm a Gamemaker in our Hunger Games. Ask me anything!~
The following user(s) said Thank You: 321squrt, motorthud

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1853

• Duomaxwel
  • Veteran
When I created this topic, it was for people to nominate others and have an input into the staffing of the server. It looks like it might end up degrading into a mud fest. I don't want to see that. If I did, I could watch the presidential canidates go at each other so adding the rule of no negative comments about other people. It just looks unprofessional and tacky to me. If any of you have a complaint about this, I can be sure to make sure if you are nominated you don't make the list, and if you arent that your nominees dont make the list. This should be about positivity, not negatives.

Duo

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1854

• cooster2
  • Mod
I agree to some point with the negative comments thing, but constructive negative comments are not bad. As long as you dont just outright attack people. But just giving input on another player isint the worst thing but yeh it should be in a professional manner

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1855

• riccardo164
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 20
In my post, I completed your task for us to nominate players and provide input. My opinions toward other players are purely professional, and not personal attacks, and as such, they should be treated as input to the upcoming selection process. One cannot merely look at another's positive aspects, but rather their character as a whole. I would also like to note that this is not a complaint but rather a justification of my opinions.
Going back to what you said earlier about negative comments transforming into a "mud fest", I would like to say that this subject is purely professional, and only those whose attacks are personal should not be allowed to present their opinions, while those whose comments are of a professional nature should be taken into account during the selection process.
Adding to what Cooster said, constructive criticism is an integral part of professional process such as this, and it should be regarded as suggestions, not insults. It can help people look at themselves from a third-person professional point of view rather than an introspective view. Any selection process should include positive as well as negative facts to cover all aspects of a candidate, so long as attacks are not personal and untruthful.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by riccardo164.

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1856

• Duomaxwel
  • Veteran
This topic was about nominating only. Being critical of others either professional or unprofessional is not part of nominating somone. The simple thing was I wanted input on who you thought could fill the role,and why they could, not who couldnt. The discussion part will come later.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Duomaxwel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: josephdm

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1857

• josephdm
  • Donator
  • Thank you received: 4
So I have seen many nominees and some are great. But I have to agree with Duo, this will become a free-for-all "political" campaign if we dont have some order. By "order" I mean I know becoming a mod may not happen since it is a very exclusive rank but come on guys :( be a little more "in-depth" about people. Some nominators are saying "He or She is a very good friend and not in a good mood" or something. Not good enough. As for many people saying I'm relatively "new" I respect that but I'm not that "new". But Yea Consider what I said before. You want someone picked? Try to be a little more thorough, I don't mean an essay about one person but a little more about why he or she deservers it. Anyway also I keep a attendance of Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday-Sunday. Consider this guys.

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1861

• minecrafty123
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 12
I am all for this new Mentor rank and I think it will be cool!

Nominees

Riccardo164: Ricc deserves to be the rank of a mentor since he is a kind person and helps everyone out with different things, whether its building materials, actually building, or just being a good friend, Ricc is always there for you and probably will continue being there.

Also, if you are a donator can you become mentor and what would happen with your rank>

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1866

• MothrShip
  • Mentor
  • Thank you received: 47
I did not mean to attack anyone, i just meant to state the facts, if i got off on the wrong foot with anyone, let me know and i will find a way to make it up to you! :cheer:

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1871

• Kardon_Trigger
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 98
Minecrafty123, a donator which meets the qualifications and is selected by the Admins can become a mentor. If at some point the player is not able to fulfill the role of mentor they will regain their previous rank.
Last Edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Kardon_Trigger. Reason: Update

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1874

• minecrafty123
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 12
Other nominations

Gmmusg: Gmm had been on this server for some time and is always nice. He always looks to help people out and has a great attitude.He is a good friend and will always help anyone.

Josephdm: Joe is a newer member to the community but that doesn't stop him from standing out. He is helpful and kind and a great friend. He doesn't ignore and keep secrets, and is a wonderful candidate for mentor.

Re: New Rank: Mentor 9 years 3 months ago #1877

• BearTheBirdy
  • Donator
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm sorry but i don't really see why this require a new rank?

I know i've just come back, from an period of being offline for quite some time ( I know lol )

But back in Mondas when i first started, the "Regular" players, did this job quite efficient, without having a status as "mentor"?

Isn't it enough if we're polite enough 2 explain people what 2 do?
Or is it just me?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chi_Cao
  • Page: