Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Important Proposal

Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2008

• riccardo164
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 20
We ask ourselves, "Why don't we have as many cool players join like back in Mondas or Kobol?", and "Where are all the nice old players?" There are many answers to that question, but I believe that with the large number of players joining again with the 1.4 update, we should use this advantage to revamp our server.
After Kobol, PvP in the main world died down, and we added a Badlands map for PvP. A good compromise at first for hardcore PvP'ers, this map later served as a starting place for new players.
The reason we have not had as many good players join since Vaalbara as before is not because there are no good players joining, but it's because we cannot retain players for a long time. That problem is because Badlands is a poor place to showcase our server and who we are.
With many players coming back to Minecraft, and more players starting to play it, we should use this opportunity to expand our server. My plan is one that neither benefits nor hurts any group of players on the server, it is as follows:
1. Removing Badlands Map, and reinstating PvP to the main map. PvP would be off in Spawn and Res's if one chooses to. Of course this time around, there should be rules regarding PvP such as no spawn killing, no PvP Logging or compassing away, etc. This would also help A LOT with lag, as Badlands consumes almost as much server memory as Novo.
Badlands has more appeal than even the main world, so that says something about what players think about PvP.
2. New players should be given a set amount of time where they cannot PvP and others cannot PvP with them(for example 3 days or 5 days), so they are not killed constantly.
3. To accomodate player groups with the removal of Factions, we should add the plugin Towny. This plugin allows admins, mods, and players to create Nations and Towns, with set players in them. This is a much better vent for PvP as opposed to stealing bases with Factions. Most small players have their bases easily taken over by the dominant faction, and quit as a result. PvP can also be toggled. This plugin is also updated frequently.
4. As many can see, the economy of the server sees very little activity. The only way to make money are from shops, dungeons, and leveling up. The struggle of many players is finding enough money to protect their stuff, and that should not be what most players spend their time on. People should be having fun, mining, building, not scraping money together. We should have a system of selling items to the server, with player serving as sellers, the server as a buyer. Most well-functioning iConomy servers have players earning money relatively easier than selling items for like 16 or 20 bucks. This would also go well with Towny, as each chunk could be valued at a certain amount of money.
I know this is a big change, but we really really need to quickly take advantage of the 1.4 update to gain some dedicated players. Please leave your input; support, opposition, and suggests are welcome!! I would love to hear everyone's opinion on this matter!!

P.S. Reassessing the situation with staff and our positions.
1. Many of us staff members are forgetting that we are held to a much higher standard. I've taken a look at what I've done in Badlands, and truthfully I regret killing and upsetting all those players. Even in Badlands, we are Admins, or Mods, or Mentors. Badlands has been used as an excuse for many to kill without opposition. Just look at the top players in Badlands, we have two Mods(Rli and Coos) and a Mentor(myself) basically terrorizing a whole map. If you love to kill people, play on a hardcore pvp server, but on Boss we have a responsibility above whatever rules or policies, and that is to HELP players, not kill them.

Comment below on what you think!
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by riccardo164.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2009

you guys know me usually i just sit back and eat mung beans all day but, i think that some points that rich made would help the server a lot. i think that the badlands should not be about killing noobs and making people feel bad but more about helping them gather resources and get some good heart racing fights under their belts. Chronic out

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2010

• Shirokurousa
  • Mod
  • Thank you received: 84
*Nation CMC*
I like #3... Towny sounds like a good plugin to me... (plots to create huge nation...) jk...

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2011

also i do not agree with php in the main world i think the main world should be just about building and creativity, not fighting and destroying. How ever i think that new players should start out in the main world to see the beuatiful creations that people are capable of and how great the server is. Chronic out (again)

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2012

• riccardo164
  • Citizen
Responding to Chronic:
There is Res and or Towny to combat griefing. And with the way PvP worked out in the past, most people actually did not PvP. Just a few idiots(ahem INANT) chased people around, but they have all been since banned.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2014

• cooster2
  • Mod
  • Thank you received: 63
I really like the idea of towny, Having PvP on the roads and such but not in towns. With this i dont see how mods would be able to PvP (i personally am fine with). Compass could be used in PvP situtations and it would not be fair to the rest of the players. But yes i think this would be a step in the right direction. We average about 25-30 people during our temp maps, while during our main map we dont have nearly as much. At first i thought it was school that made people not have the time to play, but that was not the case. But yeh i really like the idea

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2015

• MothrShip
  • Mentor
  • Thank you received: 47
OK, so everyone that has posted on this are pretty much the richest people in badlands, and the best PvP ppl. I am very against the main world becoming pvp, but i can see how the better pvpers might like it. I think that if we change to a mostly PVP map, a lot of players, including me, would quit boss.
Just my point of view on this,
Scorp

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2020

• cooster2
  • Mod
  • Thank you received: 63
i have to agree, this is a tricky situtation. Personaly advertising the server as a faction/towny/res/micropolic/iconomy server sounds just badass, those are some of the biggest MC plugins so when people look up server with those plugins in them, we come up on all of them. I have no idea what the onward of the srever should do, in the end, its the admins call

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2021

• riccardo164
  • Citizen
Responding to Scorp:
I've asked a lot of players around the server, of varying success in Badlands, and many support having Towny or PvP. You would think that there will just be players going around and killing people. This is definitely not the case.
First of all, spawn city would be PvP Off, and Reses and Towny places can choose to be PvP off, which would give ALL players a choice in PvPing or not.
Second, the players who were here during the PvP months, Cooster, Shiro, me, etc, have seen that even in a PvP world, MOST players actually DO NOT kill random players. We have the experience to testify that PvP would not be brutal like in Badlands, and that's the reason I wanted to compromise between Badlands PvP and the normal world.
Third of all, with the incentive to be promoted or to not be hated by the server, many of us "richest players in BL" would not go crazy. Cooster and Rli have their modship to uphold, and I, my mentorship.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2022

• riccardo164
  • Citizen
My basic point is this:
Most players would rather play in a PvP world than a non-PvP world. Badlands is too brutal. We need to help keep players playing on our server without taking away PvP. This is my proposed compromise.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2023

• josephdm
  • Donator
  • Thank you received: 4
Ricc, besides building wonders you come up with the best ideas too man! I would like to propose that if players choose to make a town for their faction or as a rest stop, maybe we could have a certain rich player that can donate to a worthy cause. But as Coost said the admins have final say for all things relating the server but I would love to see how Kobol was! And if we can, I proposed a RPG map that would select builders to make it, it would be for those players that have done it all to have a new challenge that keeps adding but I love the idea Ricc!

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2024

• buzzyb
  • Mod Vet
  • Thank you received: 6
Bringing the Kobol setup back would be awesome. Turning PvP off in the spawn town and the choice to turn it off in Res areas would make builders and miners still be able to enjoy the game. And ricc is right, everyone was not craving murder on Kobol, it rarely happened at all actually. If this does happen I suggest that mods can have no PvP perms whatsoever and mods that want to pvp can retire into ModVets (Unless modvets have an special perk I am not aware of..).

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2025

• MothrShip
  • Mentor
Response to ric:
I see your point. however, this setup would open up possible arguments for players and things. and what if someone new just logs on and goes totally nuts? just my opinion. i would really hate to see bosssmp turn into a pvp based server where you have to res land or stay in town to be safe :/

if i am wrong on any of these points, just tell me, i dont know much about these "towny" things or anything, since i do not pvp much. if the server morphs into this, i would like to know what it really is, because right now it sounds like BL to me :)

~scorp
(i would rather not have PvP, just my vote, but its up to our admins!) :side:

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2026

• josephdm
  • Donator
  • Thank you received: 4
In response to Scorp,
I see what you mean, maybe we would have to evaluate the player by seeing how they act in Spawn City. Also maybe some players might be using their every waking moment, hiding. My response would have to be yes/no. Since I might like the setup, but some n00bs might not be ok with this (Like we care lol) but maybe in each town we can have an arena. This would serve as a test for those wanting to join a town. Ex: Karl stumbles upon Time's or Hobbit's or CMC Nation. If they are willing, a mod of that faction or town will have to evaluate them or the president/leader of that town would do the same. This will not go for ALL players since I think Mentors and up have nothing to prove besides their PvP skills. This is when Karl is put to the test. He fights 1 warrior of each class of the town. He must win( depending on how many classes) (Ex:) 2 out of 3 wins to pass the test OR Karl can take a building or makeup test depending on what the Town rule is. Ricc, myself and Coost are working a town but also, each player will have the chance to join a town. The leader CANNOT wave off the player for he/she must prove themselves in the arena. Although the leader CAN say no after the test based on reputation, poor skills, random rages or whatever the town Bi-Laws state. They however CANNOT wave off a player because of: personal reasons, skin, faction name and other personal dislikes of the player. Towns can have chaos if they want to but yes I would love this idea and spawn would have more equipment to buy along with the sufficent amount of currency to buy one of each start-off equipment. We will also watch them as they are in Spawn City. This is of-course up to the admins but these are just my ideas if we choose to do this.

-Joe

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2039

• Yoshpog
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 5
I think that PVP in the main world would be a good thing, but not greifing. Having plots as non PVP would be a good thing too.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2049

• ojokey
  • Donator
  • Thank you received: 2
I really like #3 and #4. Towny would be a great new plug-in to the server, and the money situation would also fit well with this recommendation. I also like the idea of 1 and 2, but making the whole server pvp enabled may cause chaos, because as we know people kill for no reason. A few new rules may also be added to make this idea more fair. Love the idea in general tho :D.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2050

• KevinRemsen
  • Admin
  • Thank you received: 94
How soon people forget. PVP in the main map did not work. At all. People got pissed and left. If you remember we ended up turning off pvp in the main map. Prior to the map change. I think the main issue right now is server stability. We got it setup good with 1.4.2 relatively quickly and then out comes 1.4.4 and it breaks more stuff. It's annoying and a butt ton of work.

That bring me to a very important topic. I don't think anyone realizes what a bitch it is to keep the server running. Every major update it's a whole new build. No fun for us.

The only idea out of all of this I do like is the visitors being able to see the other maps. It does however present a new issue. Changing all the perms to allow this. Something I'm not willing to do mid build. 1.5 when we are forced to do a new build we may do that but I'm not willing to put that kind of work into it now just so visitors can see the novo map.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2052

• MothrShip
  • Mentor
I agree with KR, I used to run a server, but updates were bitches. correction, changing anything was a bitch. just saying

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2057

• ecao
  • Citizen
  • Thank you received: 15
I remember kinda hating the Mondas/Kobol times, because of all the PvP. BTW, I am alive guys.
I've kinda left. Might be around some other time :/
Last Edit: 9 years 7 months ago by ecao.

Re: Important Proposal 9 years 7 months ago #2058

• MothrShip
  • Mentor
Ermahgerd, the Ethernet cow lives O-O
  • Page: